International Student Trips Powered By Discovery Education
Iman's Blog

Apartheid Museum and Nelson Mandela's home

Tuesday, June 9, 2009




The museum was very informative, and I was surprised to see how much I didn't know! It was sad to learn about the apartheid and the effects it had on South Africa. We watched a few movies while there, both either showing the violence done to the blacks and coloreds, or how the white settlers established colonies.

There was a Nelson Mandela exhibit, and it was honestly inspiring! I enjoyed reading about how he stood up for what he believed in, and can really relate him to Martin Luther King Jr. and what he did to help out our country. Both of their beliefs are practically identical and really appreciated in both our countries. Its amazing what Mandela did, and I praise him greatly for what he did and is doing to transform South Africa today. He'll be celebrating his 90th birthday next month!

We also visited his "matchbox" home, 8115 Vilakazi St. Orlando West, in Soweto. IT IS TINY!!!! I guessed it was roughly 578 squared feet! There were two bedrooms, not even a kitchen or living room, a bathroom, and a small yard out front. I was amazed to see millions upon trillions of awards given to Mandela and his wife. I was truly honored and excited to be in the home of a leader that has transformed South Africa in so many ways and thankful for what he has done to the world.

---
Powered by NetMobile.

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email
______________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

Riley Newman said...

That's super cool. I totally didn't know that about Nelson Mandela. I hope you all are having fun on the trip :D

Riley Newman said...

Oh I'm going to China. (So this doesn't seem so random)

Post a Comment